How to Prevent an Electrical Fire at Home
One of the scariest instances for any homeowner is being faced with an electrical fire. While you might not be able to prevent this event from happening entirely, there are some ways that you can take action and lessen the chances of it occurring.
If you’re looking to keep you and your loved ones out of harm’s way, here are a few pro tips on how to help lower the possibility of an electrical fire from starting.
Don’t Plug in Damaged Electrical Cords
You wouldn’t hold a piece of paper over an open fire, would you? The same concept applies to plugging a damaged electrical cord into a live socket. Plugging a broken cable in is a surefire way to start an electrical fire — since the line is no longer insulated. If you happen to have an electronic object with a frayed or damaged cord, either have it repaired by a professional or replace the item altogether.
Don’t Place a Cord Under the Carpet
If you’re looking to hide an electrical cord from sight, do not feed it under a nearby carpet or rug. Doing so, unfortunately, can start an electrical fire. As it turns out, when you put that cord underneath, you, as well as your loved ones, will step directly on the cable — which can break it down and will reduce its ability to transmit current.
Another thing to keep in mind is that when an electrical cord is under a rug, there’s a chance it will overheat much quicker than if it were exposed on top of the carpet. And, as you may have guessed, when the cord overheats, a dangerous situation can occur.
Don’t Overload an Outlet
A dangerous situation that happens too often in homes across the country is overloading an outlet. While it may seem as if the outlet can handle many high-powered items, that couldn’t be further from the truth. And when your outlet is under an overwhelming amount of stress, it could cause a significant problem in your humble abode.
That said, do your very best not to overload outlets — if you have no more room to plug other objects in, consider calling your trusted electrician to find a permanent, safe solution for you!